Dr. Thornton and Breast Cancer

I would like to say a prayer first.

Dear heavenly father,

Please comfort Bonnie’s family, friends, and other aching breast cancer survivors. Please Lord; wrap your loving arms around her three beautiful children of God. Hold them in your arms and help them to feel safe tonight. Lead us through this grieving process and help us to be close to you during this time. I thank you for listening and understanding my hurt and I pray that I remain healthy and cancer free for many years to come.
Amen

I found out today that Dr. Bonnie Thorton passed away on August 6th, 2008 of breast cancer. The last time I saw her was at the Komen Race and I understood that she probably wouldn’t have much time left. However, I had an overwhelming since of grief as soon as I read the email. I ran upstairs and curled myself up next to my husband. I haven't felt so sad in a long time. I just sobbed, and sobbed, and sobbed. Bonnie was my OBGYN during my breast cancer diagnosis. I only knew her on a professional basis. However, I resonated with her situation. She was pregnant with her third child when she was diagnose and so was I. When I was diagnosed in 2005 I reach out for someone to identify with. The surgeon whom preformed by lumpectomy referred me to Dr. Thorton for a hysterectomy. I felt comfortable with the fact that she had the same life experience as I have with breast cancer. I hung on to the idea that if she could do it then so could I. I think I believed at some level that she could cure me because she was more knowledgeable with the disease and would have passion for my situation. Whenever I saw her I was amazed with how much courage she showed. She was very positive and up beat.

I feel so mournful for her children and family. Especially, for her baby which is only 4 at this time. I admit this has really shaken me up. All sorts of thoughts go through my head. Fearful that this could be me, fearful that this could be my babies suffering this pain and turmoil. Bonnie wasn’t just a doctor to me. She was HOPE.

I lied in bed crying and praying for guidance and understanding. Almost every night I feel the hole in my left breast where the tumor was removed searching for any change. However, tonight was different. I remembered the huge chuck of sickness they removed from me and wonder how her family will ever recover from the huge hole in their hearts.

Bonnie,
I will continue to look up to you and look up to the sky where you will remain and remember your courageous fight. For the sky is were faith and hope now come together.

I hope someone somewhere reads this story and it encourages them to do their self-breast exams and mammograms. It could save your life.

Do your exams in 2008 because it’s great!

You can read her article at http://www.lsj.com/
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008808170448

With the most affection,
Big C

Stats