Colposcopy

April 2nd, 2009

I had a little scare today. My doctor called to tell me I had an abnormal pap smear result. Because of my history with breast cancer we scheduled a colposcopy immediately. A colposcopy is a diagnostic tool to take a closer look at your cervix to determine the cause of the abnormal cells. The cause could be anything from inflammation, vaginal infection, dysplasia, or cervical cancer. Even though I have no cervix and a complete hysterectomy it is still possible to get cervical cancer in the vaginal cuff. The GYN onocologist Dr. Pugmire saw a few atypical cells in my vaginal cuff so he did a biopsy to send to pathology. The doctor thought it was strange to see abnormal cells especially since HPV was negative. I received normal results of the biopsy from pathology on Monday, April 13th. . Luckily it appears to be just an inflammation. Thank you Lord.

Womens Health

Stats